April 28, 2009

Forgotten Hereoes: Laura Ingalls Wilder

I've never read any books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Little House on the Prairie always seemed a bit too girly to me as a kid. It fit in the genre with that other three-named girly author Louisa May Alcott and their English counterparts, the Brontës (whom I have come to thouroughly enjoy) and Jane Austen (whom I still disdain).

I recognize that this was probably due to proto-mysogynism at the age of 11. But anyway, I would now like to publicly repudiate an active dislike of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I mean, she started writing at the age of 65. Not everyone, in fact, hardly anyone, can pull off that sort of total reinvention in old age and fewer can be really, really great at it. I'm 25 and I already think I've peaked. My memory is getting worse and my mind is like a block of cement. Not so for Laura Ingalls Wilder.

No comments: